Glowing Green Smoothie
You have probably heard about green smoothies: some people vouch they help with weight loss, others say it's good as a detox, and those are the most popular reasons why people look for green smoothies recipes. I have mixed emotions about those two statements: for starters, I think the only way to lose weight is to compromise to eat well and exercise regularly. Nothing else will help out: no magic smoothie, not stop eating, no-nonsense. Second, I've never been really sure about "detoxing".
I'm a big fan of smoothies, and my favorite is bananas and peanut butter, but the reason why I have become a fan of green smoothies is that of all the health benefits they have, and since I'm expecting a little one I am trying to eat as healthy as possible. The green smoothies I like have baby spinach (because it is not as bitter as regular spinach), chia seeds, bananas, apples, celery, lemon juice, and yogurt. I have a hard time finding Greek yogurt, so I use double cream plain yogurt. Also, I prefer juice from fresh lemons (not store-bought).
Let's have a closer look at all the green goodness here:
- Baby Spinach is an excellent source of vitamin K, vitamin A, which is good to keep your hair moisturized; and a whole lot of minerals like calcium and iron, very important for baby's development!
- Bananas could help reduce your blood pressure, also good for baby! We know how dangerous it is to have high blood pressure during pregnancy. It's also rich in potassium, which helps you to maintain your fluid levels, keeping you hydrated for longer!
- Green apples are rich in fiber which will help you with "regularity", and they improve the look of teeth, skin, and hair, since they contain vitamin A and a lot of antioxidants, helping you look younger and delaying the aging process.
- Chia seeds are, as you know, is a superfood. They are packed with fiber, are high in antioxidants, and are also a great source of Omega 3.
- Celery can prevent dehydration and bloat and it's a great source of vitamin K.
- Lemons are rich in vitamin C, it cleans your bowels and stimulates the liver.
Chia Seeds: what's hot and what's not
I haven't even for a second thought about possible side effects of chia seeds, as they are sold like the be-all-end-all when it comes to superfoods, but as everything in life, it has a good side a not so good one. Like I mentioned before, chia seeds they are packed with fiber, high in antioxidants, are a great source of Omega-3 fatty acids, plus, it can help you have great skin by reducing the signs of aging, so any product, be it natural or not, of course, would be sold instantly with such an impressive amount of goodness! But on the other hand, it is known as well that they cause stomach discomfort and constipation!
I managed to make this smoothie for 2 weeks straight for breakfast. It's the easiest thing ever to have smoothies for breakfast! I'm really making an effort to make the spinach a part of my diet. I have a hard time eating it by itself, so my solution was smoothies, but always in the lookout for new and interesting recipes. The regular spinach is too bitter for me, but you can add it to your smoothie if you want instead of baby spinach.
Hopefully by now I have convinced you to make yourself a Green Smoothie! I've heard some people like to add avocados or parsley, if you have tried them like that, do please let me know! Remember that this is just one idea. You can mix and match with other fruits: I can tall you pineapples are also a great addition to green smoothies!
The early stages of pregnancy got me super tired and the one that suffers the most is my Instagram! The good news is that I've been paying attention to what I eat, and I've been having green smoothies for breakfast every day for the last week. I find them filling and also full of goodness like minerals and vitamins that my baby needs, and that I'd rather get from food than supplements. . . . #foodphotography #foodstyling #onthetable #vscofood #smoothielove #smoothietime #greensmoothie #fruitphotography #greens #photography #p10 #phonephoto #healthyfood #healthyeating #healthyrecipes #blogger #foodblogfeed #tastingtable #tastemade #rslove #foodblogfeed #mycommontable #yahoofood #buzzfeedtasty #gloobyfood #hautecuisines #thekitchn #huffposttaste #forkyeah #foodgawker
Glowing Green Smoothie
- 1 cup of baby spinach.
- 1/2 cup of celery.
- 1/2 cup double cream yogurt.
- 1 green apple.
- 1 Ripe banana.
- 1 lemon.
- 1 tbsp. chia seeds.
- 1 cup of water.
Takes , serves 1.
- Cut ingredients and mix together in a blender.
- Serve cold.