Feeling fancy tonight? Try these Portobello Mushrooms with feta cheese
Is it just me, or mushrooms make everything fancy? I love to use them everywhere; even something as simple as scrambled eggs can be turned into a gourmet meal if you add mushrooms.
Here in South Africa, I've found many things I had no idea existed, like such a big variety of mushrooms. I go to the supermarket and there are all kinds and shapes, and mind you, I'm not a professional cook so half of the time I have no idea what to do with them. So one of these days that I was feeling fluffier than usual :D I decided to start a meal plan, and on one day I was supposed to eat spinach and mushrooms, which sounds like something I wouldn't want to eat (because of the spinach). But then I thought, let us try to have some fun. We had some frozen spinach and feta cheese (another thing I didn't know existed) and we bought these big portobello mushrooms, it was a delicious treat of course :)
By the way, do not wash the mushrooms. This is something I just learnt: they absorb water, so rather use a cloth and wipe them clean.
Recipe - Fancy Portobello Mushrooms
Ingredients (2 Servings):
- 4 Portobello mushrooms.
- 250 grams feta cheese
- 1 tbsp. olive oil.
- 1 tbsp. crushed garlic.
- Frozen spinach or fresh baby spinach
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven 180 degrees.
- Clean mushrooms and remove the stems.
- Defrost and then cook the spinach with the garlic.
- Grease a baking tray lightly with the olive oil.
- Top the mushrooms with the spinach, feta cheese and spices.
- Bake for 15 minutes (it might vary depending on your oven).